Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Joe Lake's comment in the Gazette 65

It is spring once more. I sit at the computer where no birds sing but the rain dribbles down relentlessly outside to fill the farmer’s and Aurora’s reservoirs that have dire need for capacity. My tulips are out; timidly they rose from the earth to open themselves to the rain. The almond tree initially had only one blossom and now more and more dare to expose themselves to the world of kissing bees and blossom-eating birds. It has been a cold, wet winter. Judy said, "Turn the heater down, the electricity is expensive." I get my blanket and watch Family Plot by Hitchcock on DVD a couple of times then pause and read New Scientist about colliders and quantum and find that we don’t know where the universe is or how we got here or when precisely since the big bang nor what we are doing here. It’s all about the atom and quantum effects and into the infinitesimally small and large, and we spend trillions of dollars on war and research into the beginning of the universe and how to build bigger atom bombs, and the string theory, and only a pittance on the cure for cancer. Humanity isn’t very bright, I suspect. No, sorry, I don’t suspect, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment