Tuesday, October 27, 2009

No 67 Europa Poets' Gazette November 2009

The Slam is over for now. I’m not going to tell you who won. Guess.
We also had the Burnie Shines Europa Poets’ Gold Pot and that was won by a deserved person.
Christmas is my favourite time of the year as I like singing and playing my little organ to the tune of Silent Night.
No inkling of Global Warming in Burnie last winter and we can only take the scientists’ word for the fact that it will get better.
I did manage in a kind of way to get us onto Google’s Blog. You’ll have to type into the Google box, “Europa Poets’ Gazette”
and that should bring you a moment’s joy or you can expose yourself by telling us how bad it all is and that Shakespeare
could do better, or was that T.S. Eliot? Never mind. Write some yourself. It will open your mind to new vistas and horizons.
You will find that after a time, the brain will write your poetry for you and you’ll think that God did it.


Sonnet Undetermined

Deterministically, life is set
As genes and software-instinct wail for me
Where childhood horrors or my social debt
Drives unrelentingly life’s goal and key.
This rule, of course, means that I cannot change
The book of life as written at my birth
And I can only wriggle in its range
As nothing alters my life’s drift and curse.
But I pretend that I can make a choice,
That I can find the good rather than bad
If I can listen to my conscience’s voice,
Ignoring all projections that are mad.
By precedent we do what we must do
As we reject conclusions that are new.

© Joe Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment