Saturday, June 30, 2012

Gazette 99, Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow


Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow

Yesterday - diamonds danced on a turquoise sea,
Clouds, like the Himalayas, rose in a sapphire sky,
A wattle-bird sang in a gently swaying tree,
The sun warmed my spirit and my back,
And I wanted to shout “I love nature -
Every day should be like this day!”
        Today - wild winds whip the coast,
        Those majestic clouds of yesterday
        Threaten to engage in war,
        Lightning spears a darkening sky,
        Thunder explodes as if to say - “Let the battle begin”,
        Rain pounds on my roof and windows
Like a motley orchestra of drums,
And I wait patiently for hours ’til it eases
To mere piccolo tinkles -
Nature is in a dreadful mood today!
Slowly the black sky turns to pearl grey -
And almost from out of nowhere
Twin rainbows pose in their candy gowns,
The turbulent wind has at last vent its anger,
The sun shyly shows a golden face -
And that wattle-bird ventures out again, trilling its song.
What a long day it has been!
But now, all is well in my world once more!
Tomorrow - who knows?
The day could be tinged with sorrow,
Or filled with indescribable joy -
It could be stormy, snowy, sunny and mild -
Or anything in between -
We just have to wait for the mystery of it to unfold!
Sadly, some of us never reach tomorrow -
The flame of life is so easily extinguished,
But while I’m alive, I aim to enjoy all the tomorrows
Fate, on her cards, has marked out for me.

© June Maureen Hitchcock, March 15 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment