Wednesday, November 24, 2010

gazette no 80 December 2010, Joe Lake's Opinion

I love Christmas. Someone I know calls it
Hanukkah.
I used to be Santa in department stores where I felt like a king, a ruler, as you have your subjects come to make petitions. I used to tell them that I’d see what I could do. There are shining faces of worship that’s something beyond their dreary lives. Some would try to pull my beard and wig off. I gave it away because some seediness intruded, unfortunately.
I didn’t want any part of that.
But most of all what I like about Christmas are the lights. If you remember my poem,
The Fairylights - I like Christmas trees and baubles, and the packages presents come in, and ginger bread, and walnuts, and decorations generally, and I like ham. I even thought seriously about eating myself to death. I couldn’t afford it. But more than anything I like the hymns. Don’t stand near me when I sing. It’s not a pleasant experience.
I wish you all a happy Christmas and may all your dreams come true. Oh yes, and a happy Hanukkah.

No comments:

Post a Comment