Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tasmanian Europa Poets' Gazette No. 97


Fear Of Darkness   A serial novel by Joe Lake.
(So far: Julie’s husband has had an accident and disappears. At the police station Julie sees two people who have no reflection in the mirror. Next, her husband is back and she notices two marks on her neck after she takes a dream-like excursion through the universe. Then, she meets a social worker who says that she is from five hundred years in the future who gives her a ring to travel in different dimensions. They step into a parallel universe and return. Susan leaves but
 warns Julie not to turn the ring as this could be dangerous.)
          





 “Julie, you there?” John moved his arms wildly into the fog.
        “I’m here. Hang onto me if you like.”
        “Why are you standing up? I’ve tied you to the bed.”
        “We’re in a parallel universe. Here we’re the same and not the same and I still don’t know whether our bodies are in the caravan still.”
        “You’re frightening me. Go back to where we were.”
        “I’ll turn the ring.” Julie did and found herself lying on their double bed in the van, still tied up as John still sat on the bed next to her.
        “What happened? We were here and then we were not. You’ve hypnotised me.”
        “No, I wish it were that simple. I’m a traveller now and it’s fun. Well, it is. I can go anywhere. Actually I don’t know where I’m going when I turn the ring but at least it’s out of your control.”
“I think you’re mad and I still don’t understand.” John put his head between his legs and closed his eyes.
“Untie me.” He did. All the while he shook his head.
“There! We’re going for a trip now?”
“No. Susan told me not to turn the ring by myself. I could end up anywhere and never get back. You’d like that?”
“No, you’re strange but I am too and now that we’re retired, I don’t mind a bit of an adventure.”
“I’ll wait for Susan. In the meantime, why don’t we both sleep? It’s been a difficult time.” John held her hand and touched the ring.
“I could turn it when you’re asleep.”
“You better not. The ring is a kind of transmitter, connected to some powerful station sending from another universe next to ours and I don’t understand any of it. I think I’ll give it back to Susan or hide it so that it can’t do us, you and me, any mischief.”
John held Julie’s hand and was looking for the ring. It had gone. “It’s not there!” he said.
“I’ve already hidden it where you’ll never find it. It’s a kind of invisible pouch and I can’t tell you where it is.” With that, Julie fell asleep and after a while John could hear her gentle snore.
“She thinks she is so smart, but I’m the man here and I’ll get the ring off her! Who knows what it could do, even get me some money,” he thought.

(To be continued next month)



No comments:

Post a Comment